- Help With Heating Bills Applications for heating assistance for the 2011-2012 season are available beginning November 1, 2011. The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, also known as LIHEAP, helps low-income families pay their heating bills. LIHEAP is a grant that offers assistance in the form of a cash grant, sent directly to the utility company, or a crisis grant for households in immediate danger of being without heat.
- FCC Digital TV Transition As of June 12, 2009, television broadcasts are exclusively in digital format. Anyone who uses a regular antenna or rabbit ears to receive TV signals will need a digital ready TV or a converter box to receive digital signals. Subscribers to cable, satellite or other pay services will receive digital signals through their existing services.
- Do Not Call List PA Register to block telemarketers from calling your home phone number. Sponsored by the PA Attorney General’s Office.
- Federal Do Not Call List Register to block telemarketers from calling your home phone number.
- Mailing Lists Register to remove your name from mailing lists. Sponsored by the Direct Marketing Association with the support of the US Post Office.
- Catalog Choice Register to reduce the number of duplicate and unsolicited catalog mailings you receive. Sponsored by the Ecology Center, the National Wildlife Federation, the National Resources Defense Council and other environmental organizations.
- Charity Navigator Find out how your charitable donations are being spent with this tool that examines the fiscal health of over 5,000 of America’s best-known charities.
- Consumer Action Handbook Be a smarter consumer with information from the Computer Protection Agency, covering topics such as banking, credit, traveling, utilities, privacy protection and identity theft.
- Consumer guide Product reviews and prices.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Credit Ratings Find out the contents of your credit reports. Thanks to the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, better known as the Fact Act, consumers can get one free credit report per year from each of the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion).
- Federal Citizen Information Center The FCIC answers questions about everyday consumer issues and government services. They provide low cost consumer publications through the Consumer Information Catalog.
Food Saving Web Sites
Clothing and Home Accessories Web Sites
- Internet High Speed Compare high speed internet services.
Electric Choice: Compare suppliers of Electric service
- Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
- Pennsylvania Consumer Advocate Office Select residential electric shopping guide.
- PPL Electric Choice In PA, consumers can choose the company that generates their electricity.
- Electric Heat Pumps and other energy efficient options From the US Dept of Energy.
- Fodor’s Very useful collection of travel information
- Lonely Planet Down-to-earth online guide to world travel
- Have Kids – Will Travel Guide to family travel anywhere in the world at remarkably reduced prices – oftentimes free.
Flights: Find tickets cheaply on the Internet